Pages

Aug 31, 2012

Never Let Me Go


Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro

Book Description: As children Kathy, Ruth, and Tommy were students at Hailsham, an exclusive boarding school secluded in the English countryside. It was a place of mercurial cliques and mysterious rules where teachers were constantly reminding their charges of how special they were.

Now, years later, Kathy is a young woman. Ruth and Tommy have reentered her life. And for the first time she is beginning to look back at their shared past and understand just what it is that makes them special–and how that gift will shape the rest of their time together.


I just found out this book was made into a movie. An interesting fact, but I wont be watching it. Even if it does have Keira Knightley. Who is awesome. I enjoyed the book well enough, but I wouldn't want to sit through it again.

Most of the things I didn't like about the book, were exactly right for the story it was telling. It was conflicting. Such as, the pace of the book was slow. At time, really slow. But that's exactly the pace that a story which is mostly memories from the past. Kathy also came across as really immature, especially the parts about sex - and there was a lot of sex - but again that only makes since, considering the sheltered lives these children that grew up at Hailsham had. However, just because these things were right for the story, didn't mean I had to like them.

The redeeming quality that kept me reading was the mystery of what the book was actually about. It's so much more than a book about some kids who were at a boarding school together. It becomes clear pretty quickly that there is something the author isn't telling us, and that we want to stick around to find out what it is.

On a scale from Totally Awesome to Horrifically Awful I'd give it a Enjoyable. I wouldn't exactly recommend not reading it, but I'm not about to go around shouting about it from the rooftops either.

0 comments:

Post a Comment