Pages

Sep 15, 2009

From One to One Hundred: The Begining

For anyone not familiar with the One Hundred Push Ups Challenge, it's a six week program designed to, as the name suggests, train you to do 100 push ups.

This is my third attempt at the challenge. The first time was at the end of June 2008, and the second was in August the same year. I failed miserably both times. You know how it goes: Life gets crazy and blah blah blah, bad excuse, bad excuse. So I'm giving it another go. Although the program is for six weeks, but if my previous attempts are any indication it'll likely take me between 10 and twelve weeks (if I'm lucky and consistent). I had to repeat several weeks because I was struggling so hard. I could probably do it in six if I did modified push ups, but I want a real challenge. Something to really push me. I'm in it for the long haul this time. I'm more determined then ever to complete the plan. Let's get this show on the road.

The days below are all training days, not actual days.

initial test
- August 11, 2009

I did my initial test and did about as well as I'd expected. I did one whole, full, real push-up. This was exactly the same as the very first initial test I did back in June of last year. Sad. Very very sad.   

Day 1

My sets today were supposed to be 2, 3, 2, 2 and a maximum set. Seeing how my initial test went, you probably guess that I was not able to accomplish that. In stead, I did 5 sets of 1 push up. And that's not bad, considering.

Day 2

I gave myself 3 days rest, because that the tiny amount of push ups made me sore. Again, attempting Day 1 sets of 2, 3, 2, 2 and a max set. I managed 2, 1, 1, 1, 1. Improvement - already! This gives me hope that soon I'll be able to start following the actual plan.

Day 3

Giving it Day 1's sets another shot. Not surprisingly, I fell short. Today I did 2, 2, 2, 2 & 2. That is a HUGH improvement over day two, which was just two days ago. I'm feeling pretty good about myself, right now. You better believe it.

Day 4

Today I did 2, 3, 2, 2 & 3. Success! Finally, I was able to do The actual plan. I'm actually really surprised how quickly I'm progressing. I thought It would take much longer for me to get to this point. Ether way, I'm totally stoked and feeling pretty good about myself.

Day 5 - September 4th, 2009

It's been more then a week since my last training day(I was in Alberta for my brother's wedding), so I'm going to do an exhaustion test, rather then try to figure out if I should strive for Week-One,-Day-One's sets, or move on to Day-two's. It's easier this way. I surpassed my expectations, I did five! Only 95 more to go.

Day 6

I'm restarting with Week One, Day One's sets. That means I need to do 2, 3, 2, 2 and a max set. I've already done this once, so I should be golden. And I am, although that isn't to say that it was easy. In my max set I was only able to get to the minimum (3) after all was said and done. I think I went too many days (three instead of two) between training days. At this rate, I'm never going to get anywhere. I need to step things up a notch.

Day 7

Today: 3, 4, 2, 3, max (4). I actually did 3, 4, 2, 3 and then didn't do the max set because I got distracted by other things and never got back to it. Oops. Oh well, something is better then nothing.

Day 8

Okay, even though I skipped on the max set, I'm proceding on to Week 1, Day 3. Which mean I'll be doing 4, 5, 4, 4, max (5). I was really shaky and struggling by the end. That max set...it was rough. I somehow pushed my way through it, and got myself to 5 push ups.

September 15, 2009: It took me just over a month, but I finally completed Week One. Stay tuned for more updates.

0 comments:

Post a Comment