Pages

Jul 7, 2010

Irrational Fears: Laundry Edition

Photo by stevec77
This evening, while doing laundry, I was thinking about irrational fears. I'm not talking about things like, fear of heights or fear of snakes. They're not really that irrational, they're fear-of-things-that-might-kill/hurt-you-but-probably-wont. I'm talking really silly fears like...ok, so the reason laundry made me think of irrational fears is this: I used to have this old washing machine that, at some point before I owned it, someone took out or disabled the switch that made it stop spinning when you opened the lid. When it was being delivered to me, someone (I think it was my now sister-in-law) made a sort of off hand comment that someone they knew had a washing machine like that and they stuck their hand it before it stopped spinning and lost some fingers. Or something like that. I don't know, the actual story is not really that clear in my head, but one or more fingers were lost. Now, I'd like to point out that I no longer have this washing machine. We got a new (refurbished) one this year when that one finally died. But still, before I can reach my hand inside to get my clothes out or whatever, I have to not only make sure that it's no longer spinning, but that it's actually turned off. In case it, ya know, decides to start spinning again for some reason. Because that happens.

Admitting it is the first step towards...whatever. Not being ridiculous.

Do you have any really silly irrational fears? Come on, don't lie, you know you do.

0 comments:

Post a Comment