Pages

Oct 18, 2011

Book Review: Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies is a mash-up Novel, where Seth Grahame-Smith adds Zombies to Jane Austin’s classic work. Jane Austin is credited as the co-author. 

Having never read the original Pride and Prejudice, nor seen any of the movies, I don’t know exactly how closely the plot follows the original(amended: I watched the movie version with Kira Knightly after the writing of this review. The story line is remarkably similar). The book transports us back to Regency-Era England. Except that there are zombies. The story follows Elizabeth Bennet and her four sisters, who are all trained zombie hunters. Also, their mother  wants to marry them off, hopefully to rich men.

If you read the reviews, it seems you’re either going to love it or hate it, and there is very little in between. I happen to one of the few in between people.

I really enjoyed this book. On a scale of Horrifically Awful to Super Awesome, I would give it a Pretty Great. Because I don’t read a lot of classic literature, I found it a little hard to get into at the beginning (but the following scathing remark from Mr. Darcy helped quite a bit: "Miss Bingley, the groans of a hundred unmentionables would be more pleasing to my ears than one more word from your mouth. Were you otherwise not so agreeable, I should be forced to remove your tongue with my saber."). As I got into the flow of things, however, I really got into it. I’m not going to go as far as to say it’s the best thing I’ve read ever, or even the best thing I’ve read recently, but it was Pretty Great. It seems most of the people who hated it had really high expectations going in, and they were not met. So, start off assuming it will be just not terrible, and you probably will like it. That’s my prediction, anyway. If you like zombies, classic literature, and fun books, you probably wont hate this book.

0 comments:

Post a Comment