Pages

Nov 30, 2011

NaNoWriMo - My Results

Hello! It’s been a while since I’ve been here, hasn’t it? Well, as I’d mentioned, I was doing NaNoWriMo this November. I made an attempt to write a 50000 word novel in 30 days. It’s pretty intense. So, the question is: Did I “win”?



...No. I made a good showing for my first NaNoWriMo. I got to 36670 words. Part of the problem was that I really had an idea for a long short story or a novella. There’s a lot of fluff and filler in there. Really, it only needed to be about 25000 words. I know, If I really pushed myself, I could pump that up to 50000 in the next few hours, but it wouldn’t be good. Just more fluff that I would delete in editing, if I took I took it that far.
 
I’m not disappointed that I didn’t Win, in the traditional sense. I finished the novel. It has a beginning, a middle and an end. In 30 days, I wrote a novel of over thirty thousand words, and that’s nothing to shake a stick at. I feel like it’s made me a better writer. It stretched my creativity muscles and helped me grow as a person. I think so, anyway.

Now, don’t get me wrong - it’s a terrible novel. Absolutely horrid and unoriginal. My plan at the moment is to let it sit for a bit. A month or two at least. Then I plan to do some major editing and release it as a free ebook. Even with the editing, I expect it to be pretty bad, fyi.

I fully expect to participate in NaNoWriMo next year. Maybe next year, I’ll even win.

0 comments:

Post a Comment