Pages

May 17, 2012

Why I Hate Job Interviews

Today, I had the least terrible job interview I've ever had.

...That's not to say that it went excellently. I was awkward and stammery. I didn't say half the stuff that I planned to in my obsessive prep work. I didn't ask enough questions at the end. If I get an offer, it will be only through some sort of divine intervention, I'm sure. And I don't believe in those sorts of things.

Before every interview I have, I not only pour over the company's website, but I also re-read all of the job interview tips I've read a thousand times before. Say this, don't say that, ask these questions...Is it just me or does the whole thing seem completely disingenuous? It's like you have to trick the interviewer into believing you're the best fit for the job. It all just makes me feel kind of smarmy.

Interviewers have it tough, I know. They have a stack of resumes, and a bunch of candidates that all (or at least most) could do a pretty excellent job. And you have to pick just one, and hope the choice was right. I just wish it didn't seem to be about who can follow the interview rules the best.

Although, maybe I'm just bitter because I keep going on interviews that continue to not go anywhere.

2 comments:

RedBelle said...

You're not alone.
I hate interviews as well. Im so tired of getting to the second even third and sometimes "final phase" just to be told. "You were great but we decided to go someone else."
Feel your pain...don't give up! (I have to tell myself this on a regular basis)

Danielle West said...

Thanks, I appreciate the support! And also right back at you.

Post a Comment