Pages

Jun 10, 2012

The Evolution of Human Intellect


The Evolution of Human Intellect: Discover the Information that Schools and Religions Aren't Yet Teaching by L.N. Smith

I had signed up to attempt to receive this book through Goodreads First Reads, however the Author contacted me and offered me an ebook version instead. I jumped at the chance, naturally, because I love my kindle and I love free things.

Book Description:
Why did women lose their facial hair during evolution? Where did the notion of God come from? Why did self-awareness arise in the torso before migrating behind the eyes? What transition sparked the feud between science and religion? These are the sorts of questions answered in this 70-page book. But lest you think the reading might be boring, the material is presented in the form of two amusement park attractions. So, quick -- the lines are short -- hop on and enjoy the rides.

I didn’t like the first 13% of this book. Not even a little bit. I couldn’t figure out the point that was trying to be made. I know that you can’t really know the point until it’s finished being made, but I kind of like to know what direction I’m being lead in, you know? Then 14% happened. Things came together, and I finally realised where this whole thing was going.

This book has many things going for it. The subject matter is intensely interesting and it's written in a way that is easily digestible, without being overly simple. It's a quick read, but you're still learning something along the way.

That all being said, I didn't exactly enjoy it all that much. I found the way it was presented - as if you're on an amusement park ride - gimmicky and silly. Had this been an actual ride, I would have loved it, but I just don't want to learn something while pretending I'm doing something else. Maybe this says more about my imagination than the book.

On a scale from Totally Awesome to Horrifically Awful, I'd give it an Interesting but Flawed. I'd like to read more from this Author, as long as I don't have to pretend I'm at Disney World.

0 comments:

Post a Comment