Pages

Jun 8, 2012

What Will You Do Today to Protect Our Oceans? It's World Ocean Day!



It's World Oceans Day! Today people around the planet will celebrate and honour our oceans, for what they provides humans and what they represent. Be a part of this global celebration!

What's the big deal about the oceans? Aren't they just a bunch of water?

 The oceans aren't just anything. That bunch of water helps regulate the temperatures here on planet earth. Without them it would be really, really hot. And, I know, some days in the middle of January that might sound like a good idea, until you consider that we would all die. Not just die, we'd die slowly from dehydration. That sounds pretty not fun to me.

The oceans are huge food source and filled with potential medicines. They generate most of the oxygen we breathe and clean the water we drink. On top of that they are damn pretty to look at. Have you ever sat on a beach - sun shining, cool breeze in you hair - staring out into the ocean? I know, it's a little cliché, but there really is nothing quite like it.

I live in a place more or less surrounded by ocean


The oceans have always been important for Nova Scotians, but they should be important to everyone. The oceans are what link us together. Believe it or not, our everyday actions affect the ocean, even if you're no where near them. We can all take steps to protect our oceans. A few good ways are to reduce your carbon footprint, lessen your trash output and make sustainable choices when eating seafood.

I know I'm not perfect - not even close. In fact, I'm not even good most days. But I try my best, and that all I'd really ask of anyone. Today is as good a day as any to start working towards making our world a better place for everyone.


0 comments:

Post a Comment