Pages

Oct 16, 2010

It's Saturday! Looking for a Reason to Celebrate?

It's Saturday, and that's reason enough to celebrate, but are you looking for a better reason? Well, I might have just the thing! Today is Dictionary Day! It was created in honor of Noah Webster, who is considered to the father of the American Dictionary and was born this day in 1758. Today is a day to emphasize the importance of dictionary skills, and seeks to improve vocabulary.

An only somewhat on topic personal story: When I was in grade 6, we had silent reading time, where in, as the name suggests, we would sit and read quietly for awhile. At one point, I attempted to read my dictionary. I actually found it pretty fascinating. However, my teacher made me stop and pick another book to read, because she said "you can't learn anything by reading the dictionary!" A puzzling statement, for sure.

Anyway, back to Dictionary Day! Now, I'm not suggesting you go an read the dictionary (unless you're into that sort of thing). But how about you take some time to learn a new word or two? Here, I'll help you out:

Cockaigne (kaw-KAYN): noun; An imaginary land of luxury and idleness. (full definition)

Check today's A.Word.A.Day.  Dictionary.com has a Word of the Day too. And then gather your friends and family for a rousing game of Scrabble. Sounds like a good time to me.

What will you celebrate today?

0 comments:

Post a Comment